Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Links: Summer reading, light and smart

Moorish Girl points us to some interesting articles and book recommendations for thinking more about the psychology of the London bombers, something I’ve been thinking about a lot myself. It puts Brick Lane higher on the tbr pile.

The TLS review of the new Harry Potter book is worth checking out for its charming and intelligent defense of the book and exploration of their dark turn. The new Harry is my present to myself come 9/1.

Having devoured a second Eloisa James novel as a palate cleanser to The Golden Notebook, I enjoyed reading Saralynn’s defense of fantasy fiction. Genre fiction is surprisingly terrific and addictive--I'm sure that's what keeps Jenny Davidson so energetic over at Light Reading.

So, while my reading turns light, Bud’s back from vacation having read a favorite: Howards End. He’s got a lovely reflection on that great book.

Dave's daughter is reading Mark Twain, but don't go to WordMunger for that: go for the vertigo-inducing pics of canyon hiking and his interesting commentary about their time out west.

3 comments:

Thomas F. Schminke said...

Unrelated comment ...

... still working thru "The Golden Notebook" for the first time. The whole "frrr frrr banana trees" section. Is there an explanation? If i were reading, i don't know, say, John Barth, it would not have thrown me. But why these couple pages in "The Golden Notebook"?

Unknown said...

I must say I found those pages both strange and exciting when I skimmed over them this time through (only my second): they seemed to me to be really joyous (and, to my ear, Woolfian) in a novel that I otherwise found pretty dreary going.

Lessing says in her preface that the book is more about form than critics have recognized and maybe this is a passage that supports that claim. I do agree that it's out of place, though.

Thomas F. Schminke said...

I definitely thought the book was a lot about form. At points (the 50 or so pages prior to "Free Women Four" especially) she is even saying that rather bluntly, i think.
But i can also see why it was popular for the well noted reasons. I picked it up to read for the psychology and introspection of a thinker.

The handling of form was subtle, though. I like that. And the tone remained always sensuous. More like Nabokov than Barth when in comes to intra-text presentation of comments about the form of text.