Wednesday, May 16, 2007

456 out of 474

In an attempt to get in shape for the upcoming Boilermaker--the real, 15K version, not the 5K I did two years ago--I ran the Newport 10K on Saturday. It was a little intimidating to have 4-time Boston Marathon winner Catherine Ndereba’s name called at the start--especially since it’s a small race and the elite runners were only, at that point, about 20 feet ahead of me.

Within moments of the starting gun, however, I was toast.

Ndereba finished 18th overall; she was the second-fastest woman.

For my part, I finished 456th in a field of 474 (scroll way down). Go Anne, go!!!

Well, that’s running six miles at a pace of 11:20. I’d like to do the Boilermaker’s 9 plus miles at about a 10-minute pace. Let the training continue…

I’m still sore, but it felt good. I do love running road races from time to time. Nonetheless, by the time I was passing, the natives were getting restive. Instead of cheers, I mostly heard people confronting the crossing guards: “I just want to get to my *&!?# car!!!” A woman in jodhpurs with a latte in one hand and a Great Dane on a leash was really, really inconvenienced. I heard a cop say to her “Is this a life-threatening emergency?”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, Anne!

re: unhappy natives: I was in the middle of the pack in my half-marathon and the natives were just as grouchy. Some people seem to think that their "rights" trump all others.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dave!!!

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, congratulations! I love hearing about people's races, sounds like you did good. I like the Great Dane, too...

I am going to look into that Boilermaker! And let me know if you're ever running one of the CP ones....