Monday, January 28, 2008

We interrupt this litblog...

Obama! Obama! Obama!
The Toni Morrison endorsement is, as one would expect, moving and majestic and operatic in its grandeur. I wonder where Maya Angelou (she of “It’s morning in America,” remember?) comes down this time, or if other novelists will weigh in, too. But given the continuing, and now toxic currency of her "first black president" quip (a quip that, in its original context, was interesting and insightful enough but now has a new icky life), I think it's great that she has clarified her allegiances now.
I have admired Senator Clinton for years. Her knowledge always seemed to me exhaustive; her negotiation of politics expert. However I am more compelled by the quality of mind (as far as I can measure it) of a candidate. I cared little for her gender as a source of my admiration… Nor do I care very much for your race[s]. I would not support you if that was all you had to offer or because it might make me "proud."

In thinking carefully about the strengths of the candidates, I stunned myself when I came to the following conclusion: that in addition to keen intelligence, integrity and a rare authenticity, you exhibit … a creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom…. Wisdom is a gift; you can't train for it, inherit it, learn it in a class, or earn it in the workplace--that access can foster the acquisition of knowledge, but not wisdom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angelou is still in the Clinton Camp "Rise, Hillary / Rise" you can google her new poem.

if you see this it means I managed to post a comment here because the last couple of times I couldn't

Unknown said...

Hurrah! I don't know why Blogger was thwarting you before.

In any case, I'm glad for the info--it's interesting--and hope to see you in person soon!!!