Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I love Lynda Barry

Oh, she makes me so happy! She was the main reason to read The Rocket back in the day before The Stranger overtook it as Seattle's best free weekly.

Once, I was visiting a friend. I was 20; my friend, 30ish. A woman came across the street and they started an urgent chat about husbands, babies, pregnancy--all very intimate and fascinating and beyond me. The woman, the neighbor, apologized for interrupting our tea, and left.

It was Lynda Barry.

I still rue my shyness, my uncertainty that it really was her.

Anyway, the NYT slideshow, showcasing her new writing book is very exciting: just the kind of writing workbook to inspire. And she sounds very kind.

2 comments:

Anne Camille said...

I read your post, followed the link to listen to Barry, then went to online store that I don't usually order books from (though it's so easy) and ordered her new book.

The power of suggestion? An impetuous mood? Who knows? Who cares? I can't wait to see the box on my doorstep in a few days!

Anonymous said...

Do not think twice, opt for a Replica Luxury Watches and he will not just treasure it, he will pass it down the generations with utmost care and love. You can count on Rolex watches to be the perfect gift on any occasion for any man of substance, style and status.