Thursday, October 11, 2007

Doris Lessing's Nobel

Congratulations to Doris Lessing.

I slog through her works--she is a writer I admire more than love--but this is great news and a happy, unexpected event.

I would have guessed that she'd remain a contender forever.

I'm surprised at how excited I am.

I remember going to London a few years ago. I was still living in rural Indiana and was just pining for city life. My friend, by contrast, was tiring of London and the publishing circuit. Her emblematic story of how life was just too dull was that she had been to a party the night before and there was Doris Lessing in the corner with her cat...

She captured so perfectly the tone of one for whom that sight was an inevitability of a certain kind of publishing party. And I, playing the part of the country mouse, sat, mouth agape, burning with envy.

3 comments:

brd said...

Clicking around the blog world, I'm finding that people are echoing your comments. Surprised. Pleased. But not much else. What does that mean really. Was this honor deserved, but come too late to generate any real enthusiasm? Even Lessing's own comments seemed less than enthusiastic. There she stood beside an artichoke, saying, "You tell me what to say, and I'll say it."

Unknown said...

I'm not surprised: I think it's an honor deserved, but that her own career has created this kind of flat response. She, quite honorably, has discouraged fawning and, quite within her rights again, has written lots of very different books.

Many of us don't really know what to make of the fantasy novels. I must try to read them, but they never do feel like the thing to read next...

Anonymous said...

replica swiss watches are something that you will wear with pride and will allow you to be the envy of your friends due to their design and functionality. One feature that sets these watches apart is dot design logo. They have visual dots which show in the brand's logo. They are superior products.