Monday, July 19, 2010

Sylvia Beach Week!


In honor of the publication of Keri Walsh’s edition of Sylvia Beach’s letters, I wanted to do something special here at Fernham: all week, we’re celebrating Sylvia Beach. Please drop by for a new post—or two--on Beach every day. And then head to your local independent bookstore and buy a copy of The Letters of Sylvia Beach.

Beach was the founding owner of Shakespeare and Company, the English-language bookstore in Paris. The bookstore doubled as a lending library, post office, youth hostel, and salon for Americans in Paris and all others who had an interest in modernism. Shortly after opening the store, Beach befriended James Joyce and, when he could not find a publisher, she published Ulysses. Beach is the most important modernist who was not a writer.




2 comments:

Michael B said...

Hi Anne,

My facebook friend Keri Walsh told me you were featuring Sylvia here and gave me the link to your blog. As a Sylvia Beach-o-phile, I'm happy to hear it!

If you are also a facebook member I'd like to invite you to my Shakespeare & Company site there: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=154672695430&ref=ts

On my site I'm portraying information, discussion and meanderings about Sylvia and her bookshop, Adrienne and La Maison des Amis des Livres, and the Paris expatriate scene of early last century. (My site is not to be confused with the Shakespeare & Co site that portrays the current Paris bookshop of the same name)

Also, here is my own blog if you are interested: http://mikeflht.blogspot.com/

Even though I'm on a month-long, solo US motorcycle tour, I'm keeping up with things with my little netbook. Very much looking forward to reading your blog each night when I come in from the road.

Enchanté!
Michael B.

Unknown said...

Enchanté, Michael! I am so glad that we found each other here.