Wednesday, January 17, 2007

READ THIS! Ngugi’s Wizard of the Crow

The LBC has spoken: this quarter’s selection is Ngugi wa Thiong’o’s sprawling masterpiece, Wizard of the Crow. It’s an amazing romp through an African dictatorship: at once pointedly satirical about political corruption at all levels, hilarious, and moving. It’s also the first African novel I’ve read by a man with really strong, wonderful, brave women characters. We’ll be talking about Wizard over at the LBC in two weeks—with interviews with Ngugi and all the other bells and whistles you’ve come to expect.

I was a little bummed that the novel I nominated didn’t win, but it is a great wonderful book: you should read it, too. I nominated Valerie Trueblood’s Seven Loves. I’ve already written about the process of finding it. If you pop over to the LBC site today, you can see my testimonial about it.

We’ll be talking about Seven Loves all next week: there’s a podcast, a written interview, and the author will be guest-blogging to boot! Grab a copy of the book, read it over the weekend and stop by….

No comments: