Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dr. Seuss

Were I younger or even more procrastinatory, I would make this into one of those quizzes that are all the rage on the internets these days.

For now, let’s just keep it to this: my favorite Dr. Seuss was always Green Eggs and Ham, the story of a gourmand and a picky eater, the story of gathering up your courage to try a new thing and finding that thing to be great, the story of the ever cheerful Sam-I-Am, the friend who is just so enthusiastically sure that you may like them…

The older girl loves that book, too.

She has seen the movie of The Cat in the Hat at daycare and likes the idea of it, but she has never sat through the whole book (and she has an amazing attention span).

The little one, by contrast, has been very slow to sit still for books but, oh! The Cat in the Hat, that story that I found so upsetting and unsettling as a girl, the story her sister finds dull, is a delight to her. Oh, Mommy is gone and someone else is making a BIG MESS in our house and it’s really funny. She finds the whole thing riveting and hilarious and, clearly, fully of really good ideas for what to do when my back is turned. She sits through the whole thing, commenting on the pictures and, occasionally, “reading” along.

We are in trouble!

What was your favorite Dr. Seuss book? Do you think it true to character now?

3 comments:

Ho Hum said...

My favorite Dr. Suess was Yertle the Turtle. Mack (at the bottom of the stack) was forced to perform an enormous feat of strength and endurance that he didn't believe in. In the end, a normal physiological response to his environment (a sneeze) sets him free. I definitely think that book impacted my need to rebel against things I don't believe in.

Anne Camille said...

The Cat in the Hat is the only Dr. Suess book that I remember reading as a child. And I was always anxious that Thing 1 and Thing 2 would make too much of a mess to clean up, that they & the Cat wouldn't disappear before Mother finished walking up the sidewalk -- the drawing of those legs in the window was ominous! It was an anxiety only exceeded by watching those mean winged monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. I'm sure if one were inclined, one could have a field day finding all sorts of unpleasant psychological import in that!
I had to memorize How the Grinch Stole Christmas in 5th grade and fell in love with it. I think it was the first book I bought my son. I can still recite all of lines along with the animated tv version. Probably read all of the Suess books to my son when he was little. I think Horton Hears A Who was a strong favorite but never displaced the Grinch as #1.

Emily said...

The Cat in the Hat was one of the first books I sat down to read by myself. I remember that it seemed so long that I actually had to put it down one night and finish it the next morning!

My favorite Dr. Suess was by far Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now. I think I liked it so much because it suggested so many different possibilities for Marvin's transportation. I also liked how Marvin went, not on command, but in his own sweet time. I guess Dr. Suess does teach some subversive stuff, huh?